Root Canal Therapy Loveland Co
In the past, if you had a tooth with a diseased or irritated nerve, you would probably lose that tooth. Today a special dental procedure called a root canal may save your tooth. Inside each tooth is the pulp which provides nutrients and nerves to the tooth, it runs like a thread down through the root. When the pulp is diseased or injured, the pulp tissue dies. If you don’t remove this pulp tissue, your tooth can become infected and you could lose your tooth.
Root canal treatment typically involves one to two visits. Throughout a root canal procedure, we will most likely take several x-rays.
So whats involved in a root canal?
- First, an opening is made through the top of the tooth, and the pulp is accessed.
- Next, the pulp tissue is removed, and the root canals are cleaned, shaped and sealed.
- If necessary, medications may be put directly in the pulp chamber and root canals to help treat some infections.
- A temporary filling may be placed in the access opening to protect the tooth between dental visits. Depending on the severity of the infection, you might also be given an antibiotic medication.
- Finally, a more permanent filling material, called a post-and-core, may be placed along with a crown restoration to provide optimal long term stability for your tooth.